Diabetes is a disease in which the body’s inability to produce enough insulin or to use the insulin that is created often results in tiredness, fainting, obesity, and slow thinking.
If untreated, diabetes can eventually lead to organ damage, heart disease, stroke, blindness, neuropathy, and death.
While modern doctors have medications available for the treatment of this problematic condition, holistic home remedies may also prove to be valuable in keeping sugar levels under control.
The following are common sense ideas for balancing sugar levels in the bloodstream:
Common Sense Ideas for Balancing Sugar Levels
- Make exercise a priority, and work to increase daily activity.
- Eliminate refined sugars and white flour from the diet.
- Include soybeans in the diet for iron, calcium, vitamin A, protein, and fiber.
- Consider adding a time of meditation every day to control stress.
- If you are overweight, rigidly control portions and caloric intake.
Once you have your weight under control and have established an eating and exercise plan to help control sugar, you may want to determine if the following herbal solutions help to keep you sugar levels in balance. These natural solutions should be added one at a time, and the sugar should be tested often to determine the effect of a particular solution.
Natural Herbal Solutions for Controlling Diabetes
- Eat two young leaves of bilva and neem to start the day and keep sugar in check.
- Drink a glass of water containing a gram of bengal to help the body utilize glucose.
- Boil three tablespoons of cinnamon for fifteen minutes, strain, and drink throughout the day.
- Soak ninety to one hundred fenugreek seeds in a quart of water for twelve hours; mash them and squeeze the mixture. This juice should be taken regularly for several months to lower sugar levels.
- Dried gooseberry may be mixed with turmeric powder in equal parts and consumed with honey.
- Mix fresh gooseberry juice with fresh turmeric juice and drink before starting a meal.
- Boil a handful of mango leaves and serve as your morning tea.
- To keep the body from turning starches into sugar, try eating jamun seeds or chew jamun leaves.
- Bittermelon has been shown through research to have properties which help control diabetes.
- Eating grapefruit may also have a beneficial effect on sugar levels.
As in all teachings of ayurveda, balance is important in controlling diabetes and keeping glucose levels normal. The diabetic patients should check sugar levels religiously during all phases of natural experimenting with home remedies to see how the body responds. Adjustment should then be made accordingly.