No matter how conscientious a new mom is or how seriously she tries to control the germs to which her newborn is exposed, it takes time for a baby to build immunities to the common viruses rampant in homes and child care facilities.
While some of the illnesses that develop require medical attention, sometimes a natural home remedy for babies will work just as well to comfort and soothe the child.
Some of the most popular natural home remedies for babies include the following:
TREATING COLD with Natural Remedies
- Put one or two drops of eucalyptus in almond oil and massage the chest area.
- Mix two drops of peppermint oil with two drops of eucalyptus oil in one cup of water to spray into the home atmosphere to keep the cold virus from spreading.
- Give the child drops of a strained solution made with lemon balm, honey, and chamomile flowers
Cold symptoms can be miserable at any age, but baby care during a cold episode can be especially trying, resulting in lost sleep and fussy eating. Natural home remedies may alleviate some of these problems.
TREATING COLIC with Home Remedies
Although doctors are unsure of the reason for colic, a home remedy often works to relieve this type of tummy distress. Parents may wish to try the following natural home remedies to see if they relieve the intensity of an episode of colic:
- Breastfeeding mothers should drink at least eight ounces of fennel tea three times daily.
- Combine two drops of dill oil with thirty ml of almond oil and use as an ointment to rub the tummy.
- If the baby is at least four months old, he or she may be given a drink made from one-half teaspoon of Slippery Elm mixed with two tablespoons of boiling water and then further diluted with juice or milk.
TREATING CRADLE CAP Naturally
- Rub any type of vegetable oil on the scalp after a bath.
- Use a pure, natural soap to wash the head and then follow with a rinse of Burdock Root.
- Nursing mothers should eat plenty of foods with vitamin B6, such as fish, leafy greens, and whole grains, and include food items loaded with zinc, such as nuts, chicken, and eggs in the diet.
TREATING CROUP AND NAUSEA Naturally
Other natural home remedies for babies have also proven to be effective in child care. These include using small sips of fresh lemon juice mixed into hot water with a bit of honey to treat croup, to allowing a child to suck on some ginger root to relieve nausea.
It is important to remember, however, that a home remedy that is useful for an adult may not be appropriate to use for baby care.
[Also check home remedies for common diseases and beauty care]