Although meditation may have the connotation of being a mystical trance which the average person is incapable of achieving, there are many meditation techniques which are easy for everyone to master.
Even the simplest of these bring some of the following benefits to the practitioner:
One of the easiest forms of meditation which works well for innovative people who need a point of focus is object meditation.
Object meditation involves selecting on central entity on which to concentrate. The first part of the meditation requires the eyes to be directed only on the chosen object, which should be about thirty centimeters away. As you stare at the chosen object, try the following plan of action:
- Concentrate on each inhalation and exhalation, but breathe naturally and freely.
- Be aware of the air entering your nose, filling your lungs and leaving the body.
- Try to empty the mind of all thoughts.
- If the mind becomes distracted, return the focus to the central object, relax, and begin again.
- As your body begins to relax, recognize the sensations, but maintain focus on the object.
- Once you feel relaxed completely, try closing your eyes to see the imprint of the object on your eyelids.
- Focus, breathe deeply, and clear all thoughts, until you are able to perform this meditation for at least thirty minutes.
Another form of meditation which is easy enough for everyone is called mantra meditation. This is an especially useful type of meditation for people who are verbally motivated and is useful for all ages.
To perform this meditation, one should first choose a key word or sound, the mantra. Then, the following steps will take you through the meditation:
- Sit in a comfortable position, with closed eyes.
- Begin breathing evenly in and out but don’t change the natural rhythm of your breaths.
- As you relax, begin repeating the chosen mantra in a whisper.
- From whispering, allow the mantra to be repeated only in your mind.
- If your mind wanders, return it to the sound again without remorse.
- Ignore the signs that your body is physically relaxing and become one with the mantra.
- Continue for a set period of time, whether ten minutes or an hour.
- Open your eyes, stretch your body, and enjoy the peaceful feelings.
For more ideas about meditation that can help you through stressful times, read some of the articles from our meditation category.