If you are struggling with depression or feelings of sadness, you may be a little leery of the side effects that come with most of the modern pharmaceutical remedies. If so, it may be time to see how your body responds to more natural treatments.
Ayurveda, the oldest form of natural healing which originated in India, has some valid remedies based on the three different doshas, or mind-body types.
Some of these might help you to get back into balance and return to emotional stability.
Depression Cure for Vata People
For those with a Vata constitution, it is important to keep a set schedule, avoid all caffeine, moderate all physical activity, including sex, and avoid extremely cold temperatures. In addition, those with a Vata dosha might benefit from the following:
- Listen to soothing music throughout the day.
- Prevent the body from losing heat by wrapping in blankets or taking warm showers and baths.
- Eat whole grains, dairy products, spicy foods, pasta, nuts, and rice.
- Use valerian to help with sleep, and anise, ginger, licorice, and nutmeg for comforting energy.
- Consider mixing five parts of shatavari and guduchi with three parts jatamansi and brahmi. Place one-fourth teaspoonfuls in one-half cup of water with each meal.
- Rub several drops of Brahmi oil on the sides of each foot be fore sleep, and put three drops into each side of the nose twice every day.
Depression Cure for Pitta People
If you have a pitta dosha, your body will respond better to cooling therapies. The following home remedies might be more helpful in providing depression relief:
- Protect the head and skin from sun exposure.
- Take tepid showers and baths.
- Have someone massage the body with coconut oil.
- Use cooling herbs in food and drink preparations; these include mint, sandalwood, aloe, cumin, chrysanthemum and burdock.
- Drink a half cup of warm water including a fourth teaspoonful of guduchi and a half teaspoonful of shatavari before sleep.
- Administer four brahmi ghee drops to the nose before breakfast and dinner.
Depression Cure for Kapha People
Those dealing with depression or feelings of sadness that have a kapha dosha should eliminate most fats from their diet. Fruits, whole grains, spicy dishes, and light soups are preferred. They should also receive help from the following advice:
- Exercise vigorously several times a day.
- Do not take naps.
- Incorporate herbs that generate heat into meals, including turmeric, pepper, and ginger.
- Use an apple juice fruit fast for several days to banish feelings of heaviness.
- Combine three parts sarasvati with three parts each of punarnava and chitrak. Place a half teaspoon on the
- tongue before each meal and follow with warm water.
[Also check home remedies for common diseases and beauty care]