Sometimes the gastric glands in the stomach are over productive in secreting the hydrochloric acid which is necessary to break down the food that is eaten. When this happens, acidity and heartburn often develop.
This can cause a painful burning sensation which may be the result of chronic acid reflux. The pain can be very disturbing because people often confuse it for a heart attack.
Natural Home Remedies
Many home remedies work well to neutralize stomach acid and prevent damage to the esophagus and intestinal tract. The following suggestions may prevent acidity and heartburn from becoming disruptive:
- Combine equal parts apple cider vinegar and honey with a cup of water and drink just prior to each meal to control acidity.
- Eliminate spices and fruits that have not yet ripened from the diet.
- Drink a glass of milk with each meal.
- Eat a cup of yogurt as a snack between meals.
- Chew food longer and slow the eating process by putting down the fork between bites.
- Add watermelon, bananas, and cucumber to the diet to cool heartburn.
- Try a cup of chamomile tea for heart burn.
- Try to reduce events that cause a stressful reaction and use meditation or deep breathing to relax.
- Always sleep with the head much higher than the rest of the body to relieve the pressure that causes acid reflux to be more severe.
- Drink a glass of green tea sweetened with molasses to neutralize acids.
- Eat six small meals, rather than three large one, because a overeating aggravates acid reflux.
- Chew gum until the heartburn disappears.
- Eat a stick of raw celery to end heartburn quickly.
Some of these remedies will work better for one person than another depending on the cause of the acidity or heartburn.
Pregnant women seem to have excellent results from chewing gum while cider vinegar sometimes works better for those under stress.
[Also check home remedies for beauty care and common diseases]