Chronic pulmonary diseases, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or emphysema, bronchitis, and other damaging lung diseases, make getting a good breath of air difficult, if not impossible.
Beginning with symptoms such as chest tightness, frequent infections, coughing, and wheezing, chronic pulmonary disease can deteriorate to the point of breathlessness.
Dust, cigarette smoke, chemicals in the air, and other forms of pollution aggravate pulmonary diseases even more, and those who suffer from them often lead a severely limited existence.
Natural Dietary Supplements to Cure Pulmonary Diseases
Several natural remedies may actually slow the progression of COPD, limit its complications, and make life a bit easier for those afflicted.
The following are dietary supplements have shown promise:
- Several studies have shown the efficacy of N-acetylecysteine to the damage done to the lungs by free radicals. Four hundred to twelve hundred milligrams a day may reduce the severity of chronic pulmonary diseases.
- L-carnitine could help patients with chronic lung problems tolerate exercise more readily.
- Magnesium supplements could have a beneficial effect on lung functioning, but these should only be used under the supervision of a doctor.
- Take a fish oil supplement each day for the omega-3 fatty acids which may reduce the risk of COPD.
- A Vitamin C supplement could lessen the frequency of attacks.
- Ninety milligrams of Coenzyme Q10 for eight weeks may improve stamina and heart rate.
Natural Herbs to Control Lung Diseases
The following herbs may also ameliorate poor lung functioning. However, they should never be taken in conjunction with prescription drugs without prior approval from your doctor. Use each individually to see how your body reacts before doing any type of combination therapy.
- Take a hundred milligrams of ginseng daily.
- Take three grams of mullein each day to keep the lungs free of mucus.
- Place several drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water and breathe the steam or apply a rub containing eucalyptus, such as Vicks Vapor Rub to the chest.
- Take fifty drops of a concentrated ivy leaf extract every day.
The best way to maintain control of chronic pulmonary diseases is to eliminate factors which trigger an attack.
This means staying away from smoke, dust, pollen, and other allergens as much as possible. It also means controlling stress levels, eating a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables, and getting enough rest.
It is vitally important for those with chronic pulmonary diseases to get a flu shot every year to prevent complications from developing as a result.
[Also check home remedies for common diseases and beauty care]